SACI student housing includes a variety of housing solutions that enable students to experience the unique Italian lifestyle. In SACI apartments, we will help you feel comfortable and independent in your Florentine home as you integrate into the community and culture. With homestays, you will be immersed in Italian culture by sharing everyday life with an Italian host family. If attending our Summer Venice program, you will be housed in a university residence hall, facing the beautiful Giudecca canal.
SACI Apartments in Florence
SACI apartments are available during all terms in Florence, and are fully furnished to allow you to live independently. The apartments differ in style, furnishings, and amenities. Although most have been recently renovated, each apartment is unique; some apartments are in buildings dating back to the Renaissance and others are only a few decades old.
You can choose to be housed in a double room or a single room. The standard housing fee covers a shared room (SACI Double) in a shared apartment, but you can also opt for a single room (SACI Single) in a shared apartment, for which you will be charged a supplemental fee. A limited number of single rooms are available each term and are assigned based on the date that the General Program Deposit is received.
SACI apartments meet health and safety standards and are covered by fire and third-party liability insurance. In accordance with Italian law, all apartment contracts are duly registered with authorities and the names of occupants are filed each term with the local police.
Wifi is provided in all SACI apartments. Though the apartments do not have telephones, you can easily arrange for a private portable cellular phone rental if your budget allows.
Important SACI Apartment Reminders: SACI's Director of Housing & Student Affairs has prepared some important SACI Apartment Reminders for you!
Student Residence Hall in Florence
As the Covid-19 pandemic continues, the safety of our students is our highest priority. SACI is committed to implementing health and safety protocols aimed at making all facilities and accommodations provided to students as safe as possible.
In order to reduce possible risk of contagion, students can choose to live in single bedrooms with private bathrooms at The Student Hotel, a nearby, comfortable, and safe university residence hall.
Learn more about The Student Hotel.
View The Student Hotel's Covid-10 Response.
Student Residence Hall in Venice
Students attending the Summer Venice program or the Full Summer Florence + Venice program are housed in an air-conditioned university residence hall in the center of Venice — facing the beautiful Giudecca canal. You can choose to be housed in a double room or a single room. There are also a number of communal areas, such as sitting rooms, a fitness room, study rooms, entertainment rooms, a bar/cafeteria, and a terrace.
Homestays in Florence (Fall and Spring)
* In response to the current worldwide health crisis, Homestays are not offered at this time.
During the Fall and Spring terms, you can choose to share everyday life with an Italian host family in Florence—the best housing option for students seeking to understand the Italian culture and the way of life in Florence. It is strongly recommended for students who wish to improve their knowledge of the Italian language.
You can choose to share a room with another SACI student (Homestay Double) or pay a supplemental fee for a single room in your host family’s home (Homestay Single).
For meals, the host family provides a continental breakfast every day and five dinners a week.
Note: Should you not wish to live in SACI Housing or a SACI homestay, you may also choose to find your housing independently. If you intend to pursue Independent Housing, please contact email@example.com. In response to the current worldwide health crisis, all Independent Housing is not encouraged at this time.
Because of the intense nature of the Summer Venice program, students are required to stay in SACI housing in Venice to facilitate group sessions and travel.
SACI Housing Policies & Procedures:
- Prior to the student’s arrival, all rooms (whether in SACI shared apartments or at the Student Residence Hall) will be professionally cleaned and sanitized. During the term, a bi-monthly room cleaning is included in the SACI Housing Fee. However, SACI encourages students to clean their room at least 2-3 times a week. In SACI apartments, students must also clean common space areas on a daily basis as well as immediately clean with the appropriate sanitizing product all shared features such as stoves, tabletops, etc., after their use. It is also highly recommended they wash and change linens at least bi-monthly. For students opting for SACI housing at the nearby Student Residence Hall, all communal areas will be cleaned and sanitized on a daily basis, following all of the most updated hygiene protocols and change of linens will be provided bi-monthly.
- On arrival day, students in SACI housing may be notified about spaced out move-in times to make sure students move in consecutively and apart from each other.
- Students will be required to wear masks in shared spaces such as the kitchen, and to stagger the use of these spaces.
- Should a student in SACI housing be exposed to Covid-19 during the semester, if housed at the nearby Student Residence Hall or in a single room in a SACI apartment, the student will be able to self-isolate in the same room. If in SACI housing in a double room, the student will be moved to a dedicated single room to self-isolate. Upon request, self-isolated students housed at the Student Residence Hall can be provided with meals delivered by the Residence staff right outside their room (cost to be covered by the student). Food or meals can also be easily ordered online by self-isolated students to be delivered to their SACI apartment or room. Staff will be able to provide the student with appropriate information and will do everything possible to make the student feel supported.
Download or view the SACI General Covid-19 Prevention Procedures.
SACI Housing Rules and Regulations
Please review these rules and regulations while preparing for your stay in SACI Housing or SACI Homestays.
- You will receive your housing assignment upon your arrival in Florence or Venice. You may not access to your housing prior to the official arrival date posted on the fee and calendar sheet. If you arrive before that day, you must arrange for other accommodations. There are no exceptions.
- SACI housing is not provided between terms. Academic Year, Post-Bac, MFA, and MA students staying in Italy over Christmas break between Fall and Spring terms can remain in SACI apartments for an additional fee of $400. Students in Homestays must vacate their rooms during the holidays (personal items can be kept in the SACI basement between terms). Students staying between Spring and Summer I terms may reserve SACI housing between terms for an additional fee of $600. There is no additional fee for students enrolled in the Full Summer Florence + Venice program who wish to remain in SACI Florence housing until the Venice term starts.
- All SACI housing is non-smoking.
- Overnight guests are not allowed in SACI housing.
- Pets are not allowed in SACI housing.