Getting A Visa | SACI College of Art & Design Florence

Getting A Visa

All non-European students attending a semester, year or graduate program are required by Italian law to obtain a Student Visa. Please read the following information very carefully as the process is time consuming and requires thorough documentation. It is the responsibility of each student to check with their appropriate consulates regarding their visa requirements. 

Please Note: Summer I, Summer II, Summer Venice, and Full Summer students from the US are not required to obtain a Student Visa. If you are not a US citizen and you need to find out whether you need to apply for a visa, please visit the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation website.

A study visa is not required in Spring 2021 for undergraduate study abroad students from the US as the term is exceptionally less than 90 days.

The 2016 Italian Stability Act has introduced a new consular fee for Student Visas of approximately 50 Euros. Please visit the website of the Consulate you will work with to apply for your Student Visa for details on cost and how to pay the fee.

Because the visa procedure can take a number of weeks to complete (from two to six weeks depending on the consulate), it is suggested that the visa application be submitted well in advance of the intended departure date. Please be aware that you cannot apply more than 90 days prior to your date of departure. You may not apply for a student visa prior to receiving your enrollment letters from SACI’s New York Office. You will receive these letters, one in English and one in Italian, after you have paid your general program deposit. Visas may be obtained only in the US, or country of citizenship, at the Italian Consulate or Embassy. Applications and materials must be submitted to the consulate that has jurisdiction over the student's place of permanent residence or home school address. If you submit your information to a consulate outside of your jurisdiction, it will be returned to you unprocessed.

If you are a study abroad student, it is important to check with the study abroad office at your current university about the visa process. They may already have special arrangements made with your local Italian Consulate.

Note that it is not possible to extend the dates on a visa outside your home country so if you think you may want to continue at SACI beyond the term(s) indicated on your application, please notify us as quickly as possible so that visa letters are accurate. Each Italian Consulate has its own set of requirements.

VISA Application Requirements

You must go to the website of your jurisdictional consulate and download their official Visa application. When asked for your "reason for visit," you can choose the option - Study: Technical and Professional Instruction.

The list below should give you a general idea of what you will need when you apply for a Visa.  However, each consulate has its own procedures and you MUST check with your jurisdictional consulate for their specific requirements. IMPORTANT: Do not follow requirements for a consulate other than your jurisdictional consulate.

  • One recent passport photo, which you will attach to your visa application form
  • Photocopy of the first page of your passport
  • Two sets of enrollment letters (in English and in Italian) provided by SACI in your visa packet
  • Official Passport (please make sure that it has been signed)
  • Verification of Enrollment Letter (provided by your home school). This must state that you are a current student and when you are expected to graduate. Usually the registrar’s office will provide this official letter with their seal (2 copies). If you are attending our Post-Baccalaureate Program, you may submit a photocopy of your undergraduate diploma instead of the Verification of Enrollment letter.
  • Notarized photocopy of your Student ID and your Driver’s License (this provides proof of the consulate's jurisdiction)
  • Proof of insurance coverage required by the Italian Consulate, OR Two Notarized copies of the Affidavit of Insurance (see the Admitted Students section of this website) if accepted by your jurisdictional consulate.
  • Official transcript from your home university (only for the New York Italian Consulate).
  • Two notarized and completed Financial Support Letters to be completed by the person who is financially responsible for you (see the Admitted Students section of this website).
  • Proof of Financial means. The person who signs the support statement must submit proof of adequate means by providing two letters from his/her bank. The Italian government requests that students have access to at least $1,000 per month. These letters should be notarized as well. (see bank letter example in the Admitted Students section of this website). Please be aware that Financial Aid Award Letters and Loan Disbursement Documents may not be accepted by the Italian consulates as sufficient proof of financial means, and you should be prepared to provide other evidence. Please check your consulate prior to your Visa appointment. 
  • Your flight itinerary
  • Return envelope, self-addressed, pre-stamped or priority mail. It is recommended that you use a mail service that allows you to track the envelope.
  • Make one full copy of everything you submit to the Italian Consulate.

After SACI has received your program deposit and confirmation of enrollment form, you will be sent a Visa packet with the documents needed from SACI in order to apply for a student visa. Most of the forms can also be found in the Admitted Students section of MySACI.

Italian Consulates in the US

Please note: Most Italian Consulates have honorary consulates that might be located closer to your home. Please visit your consulate's website to find out details about their consular network. When visiting an honorary consulate, you may get your visa paperwork pre-approved and from there your documents can be mailed to the main Italian Consulate in your jurisdiction. By making an appointment with your local honorary consulate, you can save yourself a trip in person to your main Italian Consulate.

Italian Consulate General, 600 Atlantic Avenue 17th floor, Boston, MA 02210
Phone: (617) 722-9201/02/03

Italian Consulate General, 500 North Michigan Ave, Suite 1850, Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: (312) 467-1550

Italian Consulate, Buhl Building, 535 Griswold, Suite 1840, Detroit, MI 48226
Phone: (313) 963-8560

Italian Consulate General, 1300 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 660, Houston, TX 770546
Phone: (713) 850-7520

Italian Consulate General, 12400 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: (310) 820-0622

Italian Consulate General, 400 Ponce de Leon, Suite 590, Coral Gables, FL 33146
Phone: (305) 374-6322

Italian Consulate General, 690 Park Ave, New York, NY 10021
Phone: (212) 737-9100

Italian Consulate General, 1026 Public Ledger Building, 100 South 6th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
Phone: (215) 592-7329

Italian Consulate General, 2590 Webster St., San Francisco, CA 94115
Phone: (415) 292-9210

Italian Embassy - Consular Section, 3000 Whitehaven St. NW, Washington, DC 20008
Phone: (202) 612-4405/7

Italian Consulates Outside of the US

If you are not a US citizen please see to locate an Italian consulate near you.

this page