Post-Bac in Studio Art
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Studio Art
Pursue a year of intensive studio art graduate study in Florence, Italy in an accredited post-baccalaureate program designed for U.S. college or university graduates and international students.
- Flexible one-year program that allows you to explore your own study interests in diverse areas of studio arts
- Dedicated studio space in a fully renovated 16th-century Renaissance palazzo in the heart of Florence
- Extensive travel opportunities and interaction with professionals in the art world
- Work featured in a major end-of-year graduate exhibition in Florence
Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), SACI’s post-baccalaureate certificate year-abroad program in studio art is designed for students seeking to explore more intensive education in studio arts or thinking about pursuing a career in the field. This flexible program also offers unique opportunities for students who intend to earn an MFA, MA, or PhD, and want to create a distinctive portfolio to prepare for application to an advanced degree program. Significant time is dedicated to studio work, and students work in graduate studio space within a Renaissance palazzo in the historic center of Florence. They create a body of artistic work, make presentations on their art, and participate in a major end-of-year graduate exhibition. Graduate seminars focus on the role and identity of the contemporary artist in society, with particular emphasis on the impact of the arts in Italy both today and in the past. The program also includes numerous field experiences and travel opportunities to major art sites and famous cities throughout Italy.
Students in the Post-Bac in Studio Art program follow an intensive curriculum designed to meet individual study goals. In addition to core graduate seminars, students choose from a variety of electives that supplement and enhance the Major Discipline. Students also have the opportunity to complete Directed Independent Study courses, which complement classroom courses and are completed with one-on-one guidance from instructors. During the Spring semester of the program, students take part in a Post-Bac exhibition and complete a Final Paper and Final Presentation.
Visit the Post-Bac in Studio Art program curriculum page for detailed information regarding program curriculum contents.
Experiential Learning in the Post-Baccalaureate Studio Art Program
Live and work in the city that revolutionized art and continues to serve as an inspiration and catalyst for contemporary artists. SACI’s Post-Baccalaureate in Studio Art program offers rare opportunities to engage directly with a vibrant art community in one of the great artistic centers of the world and discover your fullest potential as a creative artist. You’ll visit studios of practicing artists and interact with museum curators, art critics, and other significant figures in the art world. The post-baccalaureate program also includes visits to the Venice Biennale (every other year), contemporary art fairs, exhibitions, and museums in Florence, Faenza, Prato, Bologna, and elsewhere in Italy, as well as weekend field trips to Casentino and Maremma.
Careers and Networking
SACI’s one-year post-baccalaureate program offers students the opportunity explore graduate study in different areas of studio art while developing a professional portfolio and making valuable career connections in the art community. This includes opportunities to interact with SACI’s Artists & Designers Council and the Friends of SACI, which include established artists, critics, curators, and publishers, many of international renown. When you complete the post-baccalaureate certificate, you’ll have a variety of academic and career options to pursue, including specialized apprenticeships and continued graduate study in Europe or the United States.
- Gainful Employment Disclosure - Post-Bac in Studio Art (Department of Education template)
Important information about the education debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended the Post-Bac in Studio Art program.
Find More Information about the Post-Baccalaureate in Studio Art Program at SACI
- Download the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Studio Art brochure
- View the Post-Bac in Studio Art Student Gallery
- View SACI Graduate Exhibition Catalogs on ISSUU
- Pendulum: SACI Post-Bac in Studio Art Students Exhibit at Chiasso Perduto in Florence
- Graduate Open Studios: Highlights from the November 2018 Edition of SACI Open Studios
- Justin Randolph Thompson, Director of the Post-Bac in Studio Art Program, Lectures at "Black Portraitures IV: The Color of Silence" Conference at Harvard University
- Lindsay Mapes, Post-Bac in Studio Art Alum, Exhibits in the SACI Gallery in Florence
- Human Zoochosis: Ben Garst, 2016 Post-Bac in Studio Art Alum, Exhibits at Alexander/Heath Contemporary Gallery in Virginia
- SACI Post-Bacs Exhibit in SACI's Maidoff Gallery in Florence