Parents of SACI Students FAQ | SACI College of Art & Design Florence

Parents of SACI Students FAQ

What Makes SACI Special?

SACI is increasingly imitated, but it has never been duplicated. Founded by artist Jules Maidoff in 1975, and incorporated in 1976 as a not-for-profit US institution, SACI is the oldest and most prestigious American art school in Florence. SACI's courses are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). SACI is distinguished not only by its remarkable breadth of course offerings—in areas ranging from studio art, design, crafts, art history, art conservation, and Italian culture and language—but by its commitment to ensuring that students gain maximum exposure to Italian art and culture. SACI students enroll in a wide array of courses, including a number offered at no other American program in Italy. Students attend many on and off-site events such as lectures and exhibitions by established and emerging international artists, as well as events and outings organized by the SACI's Student Affairs Coordinator that expose students to Italian culture and cuisine. Students participate in weekly open drawing sessions and field trips to sites throughout Italy, including day trips to Fiesole, Pisa, Siena, and Lucca, and weekend trips to Rome, Venice, and Naples. SACI remains true to its original goal of offering the finest and most challenging training to the next generation of artists, art historians, and art conservators.

How Is SACI Accredited?

Studio Arts College International is a directly accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).

SACI is affiliated with Bowling Green State University in Ohio, which is accredited by NASAD and by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. BGSU is also a member of the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges, the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools, the Council of Graduate Schools, and the Central States Universities, Inc.

SACI is authorized by the Delaware Department of Education and NASAD to confer a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Studio Art and a Master of Arts (MA) in Art History.

Parents may obtain a copy for review of SACI’s accreditation approval by submitting a written request for this material to SACI’s Dean.

Can Credits Earned at SACI Be Transferred to Another School?

A transcript is maintained for each student who attends SACI. The transcript lists all classes in which a student was enrolled while at SACI, the grades earned in these classes, and the number of credits received for completing each class. Each institution to which a student applies to undertake course work elsewhere will review the student's SACI transcript--and transcripts from any other university-level programs in which the student earned credit--and determine how many credits the student can transfer to that institution. The amount will vary per school--some schools may accept all course work completed at SACI and/or elsewhere, others may accept some, and others may accept no transfer credit. SACI’s affiliate institution, Bowling Green State University (BGSU), normally accepts all SACI course work in which a student received a grade of “C” or above. The only way to be certain about how many credits will transfer--whether earned at SACI or elsewhere--is for the student to request a written response from each school he or she is interested in attending (including BGSU, if the student is interested in attending there). It is very important that the student get the response in writing in each instance since then the student will have proof that an official from that particular school indicated that the school will accept whatever number of credits was indicated.

Does My Son/Daughter Need to Apply for a Student Visa?

All non-European students attending Fall and/or Spring Terms must obtain a Student Visa. Note: Summer program students are not required to obtain a Student Visa. It is the student's responsibility to apply to the Italian consulate. Applications and materials can be submitted to the consulate under whose jurisdiction your  son/daughter's permanent address or school address falls. If you apply to the consulate that serves your school address, please send or take a copy of your school ID, and preferably a letter from your home school stating that you are a full-time student.

Please be aware that the requirements for a student visa vary from consulate to consulate. SACI will provide some of the documents that you will need for the visa application in the second packet your son/daughter receives, however your son/daughter will need to obtain additional papers as required by the consulate.

How Much Money Should my Son/Daugter Bring to Florence?

Spending varies from student to student. Overall we estimate that students should prepare to spend between $1,000 and $1,500 a month for food, supplies, and personal expenses. The cost of living in Florence is relatively the same as it is in the United States, but the exchange rate should be taken into consideration.

What Is the Best Way to Send Money To My Son/Daughter in Florence?

Relatives at home can either deposit directly into students' bank accounts which they then withdrawn with an ATM card in Italy or wire transfer money via Western Union.

Should My Son/Daughter Open an Italian Bank Account?

It is not recommended to open an Italian bank account because it can be quite complicated. Banks can have large closing fees and your son/daughter might end up paying for taxes that are withdrawn directly from the account.

What Linens Should my Son/Daughter Pack?

The SACI housing apartments are fully furnished with the exception of towels. Your son/daughter will need to bring them along or buy them in Florence. Students who have selected the Homestay option do not need to bring towels. They are provided by the host family.

this page