MFA in Studio Art
MFA in Studio Art
Earn your MFA in Studio Art in a challenging, hands-on study abroad program that immerses you in the rich artistic and cultural resources of Italy and Europe.
MFA in Studio Art: Program Highlights
- Only MFA in Studio Art degree offered by an accredited U.S. institution in Europe
- Extensive on-site learning experiences and interaction with professionals in the art world
- Studio spaces in a fully renovated Renaissance palazzo in the heart of Florence
- Work featured in major exhibition in Florence
SACI is proud to offer an MFA in Studio Art degree accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), the only degree of its kind available in Europe. Students work in their studios in a fully renovated Renaissance palazzo in the heart of Florence. The master’s program includes a challenging curriculum of rigorous critical and technical inquiry that draws on the unique cultural resources of Italy and Europe, with numerous on-site learning experiences including field trips and other activities. Graduate students also gain practical experience as SACI Teaching Assistants and their artwork is featured in major exhibitions in Florence. MFA in Studio Art students attend SACI in Florence for two successive academic years and earn 60 credits.
Students in the MFA in Studio Art program follow an intensive curriculum designed to meet individual study goals. In addition to core graduate seminars, students choose from a variety of electives that supplement and enhance their specialized areas of study. Directed Independent Study courses complement classroom courses and are completed with one-on-one guidance from instructors. In their second year of study, graduate students have the opportunity to complete Teaching Assistantships and participate in the Work(in)Space exhibition series. During the final semester of the program, students take part in an MFA exhibition and complete a Final Paper and Final Presentation.
Visit the MFA in Studio Art program curriculum page for detailed information regarding program curriculum contents.
Experiential Learning in the MFA Studio Art Program
Live and work in the city that revolutionized art and has since served as an inspiration and catalyst for generations of artists—from the Macchiaioli to the Futurists, from the Transavanguardia to contemporary artists such as Bill Viola and Damien Hirst.
SACI’s MFA in Studio Arts program offers rare opportunities to experience art past and present, engage with a dynamic art community, and discover your fullest potential as a creative artist. You’ll explore diverse contemporary art practices, visit artists in their studios, and interview museum curators, art critics, and other significant figures in the art world. Guided by dedicated faculty who are also practicing artists, you’ll benefit from the highly experiential nature of the program as well.
In Florence, SACI classes regularly visit collections in museums such as the Uffizi, Bargello, Accademia, Pitti, Marino Marini, Horne, Primo Conti, Specola, San Marco, Stibbert, and Bardini. The MFA program also includes multi-day field trips to European centers outside of Italy such as Berlin and London. Additional trips are made to the Venice Biennale (every other year) and to contemporary art fairs and major exhibitions in Bologna, Milan, Naples, Rome, and elsewhere in Italy.
Careers and Networking
The MFA in Studio Arts program offers two challenging years of work in your field – an opportunity to focus on your passion, build valuable career connections, and learn to navigate the professional art world. You’ll work closely with faculty, peers, and people in the community, gaining new perspectives and forming new relationships that will enrich your life and career. You’ll also have opportunities to interact with SACI’s Artists & Designers Council and the Friends of SACI, which include established artists, photographers, critics, curators, and publishers, many of international renown. Graduates of the MFA program go on to successful careers as professionals in the arts and as university-level teachers.
- Download the MFA in Studio Art brochure
- View the MFA in Studio Art Student Gallery
- See highlights from Graduate Open Studios
- View SACI graduate exhibition catalogs on ISSUU
- "In Contatto/In Kontakt": SACI and UDK Berlin Students Organize an International Exhibition Exchange
- Keri Rosebraugh, MFA in Studio Art Alumna 2016, Co-Founds Artist Residency in France
- Kirsten Stromberg: SACI Announces New MFA in Studio Art Program Director
- "Un Punto d’Incontro": 2019 MFA in Studio Art and Communication Design Final Exhibition at Frittelli Arte Contemporanea in Florence
- Graduate Open Studios: Highlights from the February 2019 Edition of SACI Open Studios
- Work(in)Space 2019: Exhibition Series by SACI 2nd-Year MFA in Studio Art Candidates
- Maria Nissan, 2018 MFA Studio Art Alumna, Builds Refugee Support with Art Therapy Projects in Greece, Film Screening in US