MFA in Communication Design
MFA in Communication Design
Investigate the evolution of communication design from its roots in Western visual conventions to current trends and processes, in a U.S.-accredited master’s degree program in Florence, Italy.
MFA in Communication Design: Program Highlights
- Flexible study options with unique on-site learning experiences
- Studio space in a fully renovated 16th-century Renaissance palazzo in the heart of Florence
- Work featured in a major exhibition in Florence
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)
SACI’s two-year MFA in Studio Design program offers unique opportunities for students to develop a personal design practice while drawing from the rich design and art legacies of Italy and Europe. In the first year, students create a customized program that balances independent study, studio design assignments, and course work, while the second year emphasizes career options for emerging communication designers. MFA students explore diverse mediums using the latest tools and technologies. They gain a greater awareness and understanding of the social implications of communication design, and learn how to use design as a tool for change. Students work in studio spaces in our Renaissance palazzo in the heart of Florence, guided by expert faculty who are both dedicated mentors and active designers. Creative work is further enriched by rewarding travel and networking opportunities, as well as ongoing dialogue and critiques with visiting designers.
Experiential Learning in the MFA Communication Design Program
MFA programs at SACI take students beyond the classroom with hands-on learning experiences in one of the most historic and influential cultural centers in the world. You’ll gain a deeper understanding of Italian culture, creativity, and style through presentations and workshops, visits to the studios of cutting-edge designers, and travel to design fairs throughout Italy and Europe. You can gain practical experience as a SACI Teaching Assistant and through design internships in Tuscan design firms and cultural institutions. The Communication Design master’s program also includes a final major exhibition in Florence.
Careers and Networking
The two-year MFA in Communication Design program offers the flexibility to explore your interests and forge your own professional path while building valuable career connections. You’ll learn to adopt practices from both old and new disciplines, including graphic design, information design, and visualization; branding and advertising; infographics; typography; illustration; and environmental, interactive, and web design. At the same time, you’ll gain problem-solving, communication, and technical skills necessary to lead in a wide range of design professions. Extensive networking opportunities throughout the master’s program include chances to meet and work with SACI’s Artists & Designers Council and the Friends of SACI, made up of established artists, designers, photographers, critics, curators, and publishers, many of international renown.
Find More Information about the MFA in Communication Design Program
- There is No There There: Alexandra Wong, 2018 MFA in Communication Design Grad, Exhibits in the SACI New York Gallery
- Marie Claire Publishes Work by Alexandra Wong, 2018 MFA in Communication Design Graduate
- There is No There There: Alexandra Wong, 2018 MFA in Communication Design Grad, Exhibits Thesis Work at Le Murate in Florence
- MFA in Communication Design Student Manuela Bosch Completes Works for Local Publishing House
- SACI MX: SACI Partners with Renowned Italian Museums to Improve Museum Experience with Design