Careers at SACI
Current Job Openings at SACI
Dean of Art and Design
Job title: Dean of Art and Design
Location: Florence, Italy
Posted: May 18, 2018
Ranked as one of the most prestigious schools of Art and Design in Florence Italy, Studio Arts College International (SACI) is inviting applicants for a secondment position for Dean of Art and Design. SACI is seeking a candidate who has shown direct leadership and experience in education in Art and Design.
The position is based in Florence Italy, effective September 2018 until August 2020. Although undetermined at this stage, SACI may consider extending this position after the two-year secondment period.
SACI is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and is affiliated with Bowling Green State University. SACI offers a wide range of innovative hands-on graduate and undergraduate programs in traditional and contemporary studio arts, design, conservation, art history, Italian language and culture. Programs integrate diverse disciplines and emphasize the essential role of art and design to shape, improve and sustain society.
Reporting to the President, the Dean of Art and Design is responsible for overseeing the education of undergraduate and graduate students, promoting and maintaining scholarly and creative excellence. A minimum of a Master’s Degree is required. A MFA in Art or Design is preferred. The Dean of Art and Design is responsible for overseeing all educational aspects of the institution including the Assistant Dean, faculty currently comprising approximately 40 instructors and 30 members of staff. Intimate knowledge of NASAD, experience working with the U.S. Department of Education as it relates to Art schools, and student financial aid requirements are essential. If the appointed Dean is a US Citizen, the contract would be issued and held in the US. The person would be responsible for adhering to all US and Italian laws and regulations. Knowledge of or fluency in Italian is preferred.
SACI places considerable importance on collaboration and teamwork between faculty and staff. Advancement of academic excellence with this spirit of collaboration are personal qualities that would be highly sought after and valued. In addition, SACI is seeking a leader with a passion for ways to improve education for students and finding innovative ways to prepare them for their careers in a highly competitive world.
Dean of Art and Design Responsibilities
- Create, develop, implement and maintain academic courses for both graduate and undergraduate programs
- Coordinate with US colleges of art and design faculty and study abroad administrators to align academic courses, accreditation and shared learning outcomes
- Assist the President with all aspects of school administration, including the development and implementation of internal administrative systems, policies, and procedures
- Along with the President and Senior Administrator, develop annual budgets and financial reports for all academic components, classes, exhibitions and faculty
- Interface with members of the educational community in Italy and the US regarding affiliations, legal arrangements, and funding and administration of collaborative partnerships and joint ventures
- Assist with the hiring and orientation of new instructors
- Oversee SACI’s compliance with financial aid standards
- Coordinate scholarship reviews together with SACI’s Area Heads and Program Directors and ensure that a list of granted scholarships per applicant is communicated to SACI’s Admissions office
- Prepare regular comprehensive reports for submission to the school’s accrediting agency (NASAD), the US Department of Education and SACI’s School of Record
- Oversee the US and global recruitment and admissions activities and results through SACI’s NY office and the Director of Admissions and Recruitment including promotion initiatives. The Director of NY Admissions and Recruitment reports to the Dean and the President. Visits to the United States to assist with recruitment may be required
- Prepare regular and comprehensive reports for submission to the President and the Board of Trustees including annual budget and academic strategies and plans
- Schedule classes and supervise student registration
- Work with SACI’s Director of Communications and graphic design and social media staff on publications and website communications
- Schedule extracurricular events such as artist presentations, film nights, open drawing sessions, field trips, and Italian classes
- Work with the President and Gallery Coordinator with the scheduling of exhibitions in the SACI Gallery and review and approve news releases about SACI Gallery exhibitions
- Revise and update the texts of the school’s viewbook, program brochures, faculty and staff handbook, and student handbook
- Advise students regarding academic matters, including course selection and attendance issues
- Attend graduate students’ final reviews and make sure that all standards regarding documentation of graduate students’ work and faculty assessments are followed
- Advise students regarding personal matters, including health care options, cultural adjustment, housing, and disciplinary issues
- Make presentations to new students at orientation including a comprehensive overview of academic, health, and safety issues
- Represent and direct the school in the absence of the President
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter addressing qualifications and a current curriculum vitae, along with three references that will only be contacted with prior notification and approval by the candidate.
Nominations may be sent confidentially to Director of Admissions Racini Aranda. Applications must be received by June 30, 2018.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Studio Arts College International is a global and culturally diverse college, and is committed to providing a collaborative, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified. SACI reserves the right to modify this job description at its sole discretion.