Student Visa Information


Fall and Spring Term students are required by Italian law to obtain a Student Visa. Please read the following information very carefully as the process is a little time consuming and requires thorough documentation.

Please Note:

  • Late Spring and Summer students from the US are no longer required to obtain a Student Visa. If you are not a US citizen and you need to find out whether you need to apply for a visa, please see
  • Two-Year MFA students should contact the SACI New York office for information about Visas and the Italian Permit of Stay.
  • The 2016 Italian Stability Act has introduced a new consular fee for Student Visas of approximately 50 Euros. Please visit the website of the Consulate you will work with to apply for your Student Visa for details on cost and how to pay the fee.

Because the visa procedure can take a number of weeks to complete (from two to six weeks depending on the consulate), it is suggested that the visa application be submitted well in advance of the intended departure date. Please be aware that you cannot apply more than 90 days prior to your date of departureYou may not apply for a student visa prior to receiving your enrollment letters from SACI’s New York Office. You will receive these letters, one in English and one in Italian, after you have paid your general program deposit. Visas may be obtained only in the US, or country of citizenship, at the Italian Consulate or Embassy. Applications and materials must be submitted to the consulate that has jurisdiction over the student's place of permanent residence or home school address. If you submit your information to a consulate outside of your jurisdiction, it will be returned to you unprocessed.

It is important to check with the study abroad office at your current university about the visa process. They may already have special arrangements made with your local Italian Consulate.

Note that it is not possible to extend the dates on a visa outside your home country so if you think you may want to continue at SACI beyond the term(s) indicated on your application, please notify us as quickly as possible so that visa letters are accurate. Each Italian Consulate has its own set of requirements.

Visa Application Requirements

You should go to the website of your jurisdictional consulate and download their official visa application. When asked for your "reason for visit," you can choose the option - Study: Technical and Professional Instruction.

The list below should give you a general idea of what you will need when you apply for a Visa.  However, each consulate has its own procedures and you are strongly encouraged to check with your jurisdictional consulate for their specific requirements. Do not follow requirements for a consulate other than your jurisdictional consulate.

  • One recent passport photo, which you will attach to your visa application form
  • Photocopy of the first page of your passport
  • Two sets of enrollment letters (in English and in Italian) provided by SACI in your visa packet
  • Official Passport (please make sure that it has been signed)
  • Verification of Enrollment Letter (provided by your home school). This must state that you are a current student and when you are expected to graduate. Usually the registrar’s office will provide this official letter with their seal (2 copies). If you are attending our Post-Baccalaureate Program, you may submit a photocopy of your undergraduate diploma instead of the Verification of Enrollment letter.
  • Notarized photocopy of your Student ID and your Driver’s License (this provides proof of the consulate's jurisdiction)
  • Proof of insurance coverage required by the Italian Consulate, OR Two Notarized copies of the Affidavit of Insurance (see the Downloads section of this website) if accepted by your jurisdictional consulate.
  • Official transcript from your home university (only for the New York Italian Consulate).
  • Two notarized and completed Financial Support Letters to be completed by the person who is financially responsible for you (see the Downloads section of this website).
  • Proof of Financial means. The person who signs the support statement must submit proof of adequate means by providing two letters from his/her bank. The Italian government requests that students have access to at least $1,000 per month. These letters should be notarized as well. (see bank letter example in the Downloads section of this website).
  • Your flight itinerary
  • Return envelope, self-addressed, pre-stamped or priority mail.  It is recommended that you use a mail service that allows you to track the envelope.

    Make one full copy of everything you submit to the Italian Consulate.

After SACI has received your program deposit and confirmation of enrollment form, you will be sent a Visa packet with the documents needed from SACI in order to apply for a student visa. Most of the forms can also be found in the Downloads section of this website.

Student Visa Information | SACI College of Art & Design Florence